CRB’s & Police Checks
" The role of the criminal records bureau is to reduce the risk of abuse by ensuring those who are unsuitable are not able to work with children and vulnerable adults."
- David Blunkett
- CRB disclosures (Criminal Records Disclosures) only check police records within the UK. They will check a full criminal history including "spent" convictions.
- Persons seeking to employ a candidate for the purpose of childcare have a legal right to know the candidates full criminal history and can refuse employment based on a past criminal conviction.
- Little Ones require successful applicants who have resided in the UK for a minimum of 6 months to undergo a CRB disclosure. However, if the candidate has been in the UK for fewer than 6 months the Agency will, where possible, request a police check from the candidates home country.
- Little Ones do not rely alone on CRB disclosures or Police Checks, we require verbal references from all candidates prior to commencing interviews with Parents & Employers.
- Criminal record disclosures cost £55.
- Please note, CRB disclosures can take up to 16 weeks. Therefore many child care candidates may begin employment with children prior to the completion of the disclosure. Their continued employment however is reliant on a clear disclosure result.
- CRB disclosures are NOT the same as a UK Police Check. The CRB disclosure checks:
- Any criminal convictions, including those that would normally be considered ‘spent’ und the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1977.
-Whether the applicant is on ‘List 99’.
-Whether the applicant is on the Protection of Children Act List.
-Whether the applicant is subject to a Disqualification Order following a conviction for certain criminal offences.
-Any other information the police consider to be relevant, this could include the fact that the applicants own family has been subject to a child protection investigation.
For further information please visit: www.crb.gov.uk